Municipal Long-Term Asset Management Planning
The Province is assisting municipalities with preparing asset management plans to better meet their priority infrastructure and social housing needs. For tools and to download the municipal guidebook, visit our asset management page.
- List of Ontario Municipalities
- Local Government WeekFor the children and youth of Ontario, there is now a new way to learn about local government.
- Municipal Performance Measures
- Municipal ActThe legislation provides for the structure of local municipalities and counties, and sets out their basic powers including the ability to regulate (e.g. licensing), provision of services, finances and roads.
- Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance ProgramThis initiative is intended to alleviate the hardship suffered by private homeowners, farmers, small business enterprises and non-profit organizations, whose essential property has been damaged in a sudden and unexpected natural disaster, such as a severe windstorm.
- Building the Provincial-Municipal Partnership
- Property Taxes
- Local Improvement ChargesMunicipalities, through local improvement charges, have the ability to recover the costs of capital improvements made on public or privately owned land from property owners who will benefit from the improvement.
- Resources for MunicipalitiesManagement tools, guidelines, and reference materials
- Municipal ElectionsElection information for voters and candidates
- Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS)
- Municipal RestructuringMunicipal restructuring includes annexations and amalgamations. Annexations alter municipal boundaries, moving jurisdiction for land from one municipality to another. Amalgamations are mergers of neighbouring municipalities. Restructuring activities are generally a response to urban growth pressures, changes to municipal responsibilities, and provincial government initiatives. Since the mid-1990's, amalgamations have reduced the number of municipalities from 815 in 1996 to 444 in 2009.
- Ice Storm Assistance Program
- Municipal Legislation Review