Email this pageRental Opportunity for Ontario Families (ROOF)
Important Note: The ROOF application deadline was June 30, 2008
- Rental Opportunity for Ontario Families (ROOF) is Ontario’s $185 million housing allowance program.
- A “housing allowance” is a financial supplement given directly to a tenant to help pay the rent.
- ROOF is a five-year program. Eligible families are receiving housing allowance assistance for up to five years, starting in January 2008.
Eligibility criteria for the program are:
- Working and having a family earned income of at least $5,000 and an Adjusted Family Net Income (AFNI) below $20,000.
- AFNI is the total adjusted net income of the applicant, plus the adjusted net income of any spouse or common-law partner.
- Adjusted net income is the amount from line 236 of one’s 2006 income tax return, minus Universal Child Care Benefit.
- Having one or more dependent children under the age of 18.
- Paying more than 30% of income towards rent.
- Having less than $10,000 in liquid assets (e.g., cash, bank account, bonds or stocks).
- Not receiving social assistance or any other rent subsidy.
- Being a resident of Ontario and meeting program requirements for status in Canada.
- Call 1-888-544-5101 (TTY: 1-800-263-7776)
- e-mail: ROOF@ontario.ca