Email this pageOntario Disaster Relief Assistance Program
Intent of the Program
If municipalities have experienced extraordinary damage to public infrastructure due to a natural disaster, they should contact their local Municipal Services Office of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing to determine if the damages sustained are eligible for assistance.
The Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program (ODRAP) is an assistance program designed to help municipalities, individuals, farmers, small business, and non-profit organizations get back on their feet after a natural disaster. It is intended to cover the costs of returning essential items to pre-disaster condition for people who have suffered damage in designated disaster areas.
ODRAP is not intended to be an alternative or a substitute for adequate insurance coverage.
In the event of a natural disaster, individuals are expected to bear the initial responsibility for their losses. If the losses are so extensive that individuals cannot cope on their own, the municipality and the community at large are expected to provide support.
- Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program ReviewThe Government of Ontario is reviewing the Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program (ODRAP) to help ensure that it is delivered effectively and remains responsive to the needs of the communities it serves.
- Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program Guidelines
- Tools for MunicipalitiesDisaster relief committee, financial assistance information, fundraising toolkit, recovery checklist, and frequently asked questions that help municipalities respond to a natural disaster in their community.
- General Questions and Answers
- Contact Information
- Emergency Preparedness InformationGetting ready for an emergency
- Continuity of Decision Making: A Toolkit For Municipalities - [PDF 1836KB]
A Toolkit For Municipalities is designed to help municipalities enhance their decision-making capability in an emergency.
- Assistance to Private Individuals
- Assistance to Farmers
- Assistance to Small Businesses
- Assistance to Non-Profit Organizations
Emergency situations can happen at any time. We all have roles and responsibilities in preparing for, responding to and managing emergencies.
Ontario requires all municipalities and provincial ministries, including the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, to identify risks and put in place emergency management programs and response plans.
The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing administers the Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program (ODRAP). The program provides emergency financial assistance to municipalities, individuals, small businesses, farmers and non-profit organizations.