Municipal Election Resources
The Ministry has produced two election guides – one for voters and one for candidates – in order to make election information easier to find and more user-friendly.
- 2016 – 2018 Candidates’ Guide for Ontario Municipal and School Board By-elections
- 2016 – 2018 Candidates’ Guide for Ontario Municipal and School Board By-elections [PDF]
- 2016 – 2018 Voters’ Guide for Ontario Municipal and School Board By-elections
- 2016 – 2018 Voters’ Guide for Ontario Municipal and School Board By-elections [PDF]
- If you have further questions or would like to give feedback on the guides, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Voter Identification requirements
Voters are required to show identification in order to vote. If your name is on the voters’ list, you will be required to show one piece of identification that has your name and address on it in order to receive a ballot. The requirement to show identification that has your signature on it has been removed.
List of acceptable documents for voter identification
Prescribed forms such as the nomination form and campaign financial statement have been updated for the 2014 election. Updated forms can be downloaded from the Central Forms Repository.
Links to commonly used forms:
- Nomination Paper (Form 1)
- Appointment for Voting Proxy (Form 3)
- Campaign Financial Statement (Form 4)
- Municipal Elections Act, 1996
- Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing Municipal Services Offices
- Declaration of Office - Municipal Act
- Declaration of Office - City of Toronto Act
- Information for Federal Public Servants - Public Service Commission of Canada