Email this pageInnovative Municipal Land Use Planning Practices
The Innovative Municipal Land Use Planning Practices guide is intended to help municipal planning approval authorities implement Municipal Plan Review and the One Window Provincial Planning Service by providing a source and record of municipal innovative practices.
The publication provides:
- creative approaches in land use planning that have been developed and are currently being used by municipalities and Planning Boards;
- examples of procedures that cover the full range of approval authorities in Ontario;
- case studies of alternative review models that help to minimize risk to the municipality;
- factors to consider when assessing a lot proposed to be serviced by a small, on-site septic system;
- information on who does what; and
- relevant contacts.
Innovative Municipal Land Use Planning Practices is a vehicle for municipalities and planning boards to share their planning experiences, from setting up internal review and approval procedures to conducting peer review. As well, other procedural ideas and approaches are included, such as municipal and local agency best practices to assess development of new lots proposed on small septic systems.
Case studies included in the document provide practical and proven examples of how Municipal Plan Review and One Window Provincial Planning Service have been and can be successfully implemented.
The case studies are organized as follows:
- Issue identification
- Lessons Learned
Innovative Municipal Land Use Planning Practices is designed for input and use by municipal planning employees, planning board members and staff, planning consultants and agencies such as Health Units and Conservation Authorities. All are encouraged to "help us help you" by letting the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing know about additional innovative practices which we would collect and disseminate in regular supplements to this publication.
There are two other resources that will help describe Municipal Plan Review and the One Window Provincial Planning Service:
- Citizens' Guide No. 9: The Plan Review and Approval Process
- Handbook for Municipal Plan Review and One Window Provincial Planning Service
Both of these documents are available on the Ministry's website at www.mah.gov.on.ca