December 22, 2016
Amendments to Supplementary Standard SB-10 “Energy Efficiency Requirements”
The amendments help you meet the new energy efficiency requirements for buildings that come into effect, January 1, 2017.
Amendments apply to large buildings constructed under the requirements of Part 3 and non-residential buildings covered under the requirements of Part 9 of Division B of the Building Code.
Amendments include the following (Divisions 3 and 5 of this standard):
- Compliance paths that are based on contemporary energy codes, such as ASHRAE 90.1-13 and NECB 2015.
- New compliance paths that feature the following:
- Building envelope enhancements.
- Lighting power densities, gas fired boiler, hot water tank and energy recovery device efficiency enhancements.
- Harmonisation of envelope trade-offs rules.
- Electric motor efficiencies indexed to applicable Ontario energy efficiency regulations.
- Energy use measurements and monitoring harmonized with other Ontario regulations.
- Compliance path for a leading green standard -ASHRAE 189.1-14.
Division 3 and 5 changes will apply to construction for which a permit has been applied for after December 31, 2016.
However, construction for which a permit is applied for between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017 is permitted to comply with Division 3 and Division 5 as it currently reads (i.e. as it reads before the changes described above take effect).
Minor editorial changes are also made to Divisions 2 and 4.
The Minister’s Ruling and the revised Supplementary Standard SB-10 (as amended on December 22, 2016) are available here.