Skip to content
You are here > Home > Your Ministry > Housing > Rental Housing > Rental Housing Enforcement Unit > False or Misleading Documents

Follow us

False or Misleading Documents

Email this page

You must not provide false or misleading information in documents filed with the Landlord and Tenant Board . It is an offence to do so.  Examples of documents include rent receipts, bank drafts, lease agreements, affidavits, and agreements to move out.
The Rental Housing Enforcement Unit often uses the Centre for Forensic Sciences to determine if documents have been altered or falsified.

Quick Tips:

  • always keep copies of the documents you provide to your landlord or tenant
  • if you believe your tenant or landlord has falsified documents, contact the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit for help
  • the Landlord and Tenant Board can help you explore other options. Contact them at 1-888-332-3234 or

Note: The Rental Housing Enforcement Unit has no authority to assist if a landlord or tenant verbally falsifies information during a Landlord and Tenant Board hearing.