Skip to content
You are here > Home > Your Ministry > Housing > Rental Housing > Rental Housing Enforcement Unit > Excessive Security Deposits

Follow us

Excessive Security Deposits

Email this page

Your landlord should provide you with a receipt when making a payment of any kind. Ask for the reason for the deposit (e.g., last month’s rent) to be noted on the receipt.

Your legal rights and responsibilities:

  • your landlord cannot collect a security deposit for anything other than a rent deposit. A landlord can ask for first and last month’s rent. A landlord can collect a key deposit as long as it is refundable and does not exceed the direct replacement cost of the keys
  • your landlord cannot require you to pay several months rent in advance or for a damage deposit
  • a landlord is committing an offence if they ask for or receive a security deposit from a tenant that is contrary to the Act
  • if your landlord will not give you a receipt, contact the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit for help. Make sure you have the landlord’s contact information (i.e., name, address, telephone number)
  • the Landlord and Tenant Board  can help you explore other options. Contact them at 1-888-332-3234 or