Skip to content
You are here > Home > Your Ministry > Housing > Rental Housing > Rental Housing Enforcement Unit > Altered Lock

Follow us

Altered Lock

Email this page

As a landlord, you must provide a key to your landlord or tenant when you change any of your door locks. As a tenant, you must not change your locks without the landlord’s permission.

Quick Tips

  • a landlord cannot change the lock to a rental unit or residential complex without giving the tenant a replacement key
  • a landlord may give a 24-hour notice of entry and change locks
  • a tenant cannot change a lock without the landlord’s permission

Your legal rights and responsibilities:

  • if your lock has been changed, ask your landlord or tenant for a key to the new lock or to have the original lock restored
  • record the dates and times of when you tried to contact the landlord or tenant to change the locks or get a replacement key
  • be sure to stay safe and make alternative housing arrangements, if necessary
  • if you don’t receive a key from your landlord or tenant within a reasonable amount of time, contact the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit for help. Make sure you have the landlord’s contact information (i.e., name, address, telephone number)
  • the Landlord and Tenant Board  can help you explore other options. Contact them at 1-888-332-3234 or