Skip to content
You are here > Home > Your Ministry > Local Government > Municipal Elections > 2014 Voters' Guide > Supporting a Candidate's Campaign

Follow us

Supporting a Candidate's Campaign

Email this page


The Municipal Elections Act, 1996 does not regulate the size or placement of signs. Your municipality may have rules regarding where signs may be placed and when they may be displayed. You should contact your municipal clerk for more information.


Any person who is a resident of Ontario may make a contribution to a candidate’s campaign.

You may contribute a maximum of $750 to a single candidate ($2,500 to a mayoral candidate in the City of Toronto). This includes the value of any goods or services donated to the campaign. You may not contribute more than $5,000 in total to candidates running for offices on the same council or school board.

If you buy a ticket to a candidate’s fundraiser, the cost of the ticket is a contribution.

Corporations doing business in Ontario are also eligible to contribute. Businesses that are not corporations, such as sole proprietorships or LLPs, are not eligible to contribute.

If you own a business that is not a corporation, you may only make a personal contribution to a candidate (provided you are a resident of Ontario).

Groups such as neighbourhood associations, clubs or professional associations, such as fire or police associations, are not eligible to make contributions. Members may contribute individually.

Any contribution of money must come directly from the contributor. You are not allowed to pool contributions from others and then forward that money to a candidate’s campaign. If a contribution is made from a joint account, it must be clear which person is making the contribution.

Contributions greater than $25 may not be made in cash. All contributions above $25 must be made by cheque, money order, or by a method that clearly shows where the funds came from.

If the total value of the contributions you’ve made to a candidate is greater than $100, your name and address will be recorded in the candidate’s financial statement.

If the candidate has a surplus at the end of their campaign, they must turn that money over to the municipality. They are not allowed to return unused contributions.

Contributions to municipal and school board candidates are not tax deductible. Your municipality may have a contribution rebate program in place. You should contact your municipal clerk for more information.