Skip to content
You are here > Home > Your Ministry > Frequently Asked Questions

Link to Follow usFollow us

Frequently Asked Questions

Email this page

Top 5 Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Where can I get information or help finding affordable housing?

    In communities across Ontario, 47 municipal Service Managers administer social housing. An application for rent-geared-to-income assistance can be made through the local service manager that administers social housing in the region where the household resides. Many Service Managers provide web access and can accept online applications. In addition, each service manager has a coordinated access centre to assist tenants on how to apply. Contacting these offices is the easiest way to find out about social housing in your local community.

    There are no limitations or restrictions on the number of Service Managers areas where a household may apply for rent-geared-to-income assistance. To broaden housing options, a household may choose to apply to multiple Service Manager areas.

  2. I am behind on my rent – who can help me so that I am not evicted?

    There are a variety of programs offered by the province to help tenants pay their rent. Programs are administered by local municipal service managers on behalf of the province. You should contact the Service Managers in your area to find out about the province’s housing programs.

  3. I am being evicted – who can help me?

    The legislation governing rental housing in Ontario is the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006.

    Tenants facing eviction must be given the opportunity of a hearing at the Landlord and Tenant Board. It is the Board’s role is to provide information about the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) and to resolve disputes between most residential landlords and tenants.

    You can contact the LTB by telephone toll-free at 1-888-332-3234 or at

  4. I am planning to do some home improvement projects – do I need to follow the building code?

    The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing administers the Building Code Act (BCA) and the Ontario’s Building Code, which govern the construction of new buildings and the renovation of existing buildings.

    Enforcement of the Act and the Building Code is the responsibility of local enforcement bodies, primarily municipalities. Municipalities issue building permits and conduct construction inspections.

    If you are considering renovating or adding onto an existing house or other building, or are considering projects such as building a deck or installing a septic system, you should contact their local municipality to find out how – or if – the Building Code affects you.

  5. I have a complaint about my town’s council. Will the Minister investigate?

    Municipal councils are duly elected and responsible for their decisions and actions. The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing has responsibility for oversight of the Municipal Act, 2001, which recognizes municipalities as responsible and accountable levels of government and provides for the establishment of integrity officer functions at the local level. You should contact the municipal clerk at your local municipality with your concerns and learn about local policies governing council’s actions.

FAQ Categories